This website uses cookies. Some are necessary to help our website work properly and can't be switched off, and some are optional but can optimise your browsing experience. To manage your cookie choices, click on Open settings.
Germany: Government spox refuses to comment on 'conspiracy theories' of US involvement in Nordstream 'sabotage'05:50

Germany: Government spox refuses to comment on 'conspiracy theories' of US involvement in Nordstream 'sabotage'

Germany, Berlin
September 30, 2022 at 18:19 GMT +00:00 · Published

Steffen Hebestreit, Spokesman of the German Federal government refused to speculate on 'conspiracy theories' claiming that US Navy ships were involved in the destruction of the Nordstream pipelines, during a Federal Press Conference in Berlin on Friday.

"There are now a lot of theories on social media and alternative media that a US naval force was in the area a few days earlier and might have had something to do with it. Can you comment on this or exclude it,” Hebestreit was asked by a journalist.

"In principle, I would not like to comment on such conspiracy theories from this point,” the government spokesperson replied. “There is an investigation that is now awaiting the results, and then if there is something verifiable, something reliable, then we will also share it here,” he added.

Earlier, Hebestreit told journalists that the German government still had no evidence to provide concerning which entity was responsible for the supposed attack on the two gas pipelines, but reiterated that it was believed to be an act of sabotage.

"We have no information about the perpetrator. We are now talking about an alleged act of sabotage. We said on Wednesday there is no natural cause possible. There are many indications that this was brought about wilfully, but we have no indications that we can share here about the possible originators of this act of sabotage," the spokesperson explained.

Questions over a supposed German arms deal with Saudi Arabia were also raised at the press conference. News of the arrangement between Berlin and the Gulf state had been reported by local media a day earlier.

Government spokesperson Susan Ungrad contradicted the reports, saying 'there are no arms deliveries from Germany to Saudi Arabia'.

“Our restrictive armaments policy means that no weapons go directly from Germany to Saudi Arabia. And we generally look at where there are injuries to human rights, and where we then deliver weapons," Ungrad told journalists.

Germany: Government spox refuses to comment on 'conspiracy theories' of US involvement in Nordstream 'sabotage'05:50
Top downloads in last 24 hours
Show more
Description

Steffen Hebestreit, Spokesman of the German Federal government refused to speculate on 'conspiracy theories' claiming that US Navy ships were involved in the destruction of the Nordstream pipelines, during a Federal Press Conference in Berlin on Friday.

"There are now a lot of theories on social media and alternative media that a US naval force was in the area a few days earlier and might have had something to do with it. Can you comment on this or exclude it,” Hebestreit was asked by a journalist.

"In principle, I would not like to comment on such conspiracy theories from this point,” the government spokesperson replied. “There is an investigation that is now awaiting the results, and then if there is something verifiable, something reliable, then we will also share it here,” he added.

Earlier, Hebestreit told journalists that the German government still had no evidence to provide concerning which entity was responsible for the supposed attack on the two gas pipelines, but reiterated that it was believed to be an act of sabotage.

"We have no information about the perpetrator. We are now talking about an alleged act of sabotage. We said on Wednesday there is no natural cause possible. There are many indications that this was brought about wilfully, but we have no indications that we can share here about the possible originators of this act of sabotage," the spokesperson explained.

Questions over a supposed German arms deal with Saudi Arabia were also raised at the press conference. News of the arrangement between Berlin and the Gulf state had been reported by local media a day earlier.

Government spokesperson Susan Ungrad contradicted the reports, saying 'there are no arms deliveries from Germany to Saudi Arabia'.

“Our restrictive armaments policy means that no weapons go directly from Germany to Saudi Arabia. And we generally look at where there are injuries to human rights, and where we then deliver weapons," Ungrad told journalists.