This website uses cookies. Some are necessary to help our website work properly and can't be switched off, and some are optional but can optimise your browsing experience. To manage your cookie choices, click on Open settings.
Armenia: Procession to Yerablur military memorial cemetery takes place in Yerevan02:42

Armenia: Procession to Yerablur military memorial cemetery takes place in Yerevan

Armenia, Yerevan
January 1, 2023 at 20:22 GMT +00:00 · Published

Residents of Karabakh, who remained in Yerevan because of the blockade of the Lachin corridor, held a procession to the Yerablur military pantheon, where they greeted the New Year.

Footage, taken on December 31, shows a group of people moving along the roads with flowers, flags and candles in their hands.

The participants started the procession from the Yerevan City Hall and later headed towards Yerablur.

According to local media, the procession was attended by the adviser to Karabakh's state minister Artak Beglaryan, the region's human rights defender Gegham Stepanyan and former Armenian ombudsman Arman Tatoyan.

In the Yerablur Military Pantheon, located in the southwest of Yerevan, are buried the heroes of the Armenian people, including those who died during the wars in Karabakh.

On December 13, the Russian Defence Ministry announced that the Azerbaijani side blocked the Stepanakert-Goris road on December 12, and the command of the Russian peacekeeping contingent was negotiating with their representatives to resume unimpeded civilian vehicle movement.

On the same day, the Armenian Foreign Ministry called the blocking of the Lachin corridor a 'provocation' by the Azerbaijani side, stating that 'Nagorno-Karabakh faces an imminent food and humanitarian crisis'.

According to the ministry, traffic was blocked by a group of people from Azerbaijan, who described themselves as environmental activists and set up tents.

The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry dismissed the claims made in the Armenian statement, saying that the road was blocked by Russian peacekeepers and that the environmental activists' protests 'are the result of the Azerbaijani public's justified discontent with illegal economic activities, plundering of natural resources and damage to the environment in the territories of Azerbaijan where Russian peacekeepers are deployed'.

On December 27, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin that the Lachin corridor remained blocked.

"For almost 20 days now, the Lachin corridor has been blocked. And this is the area of responsibility of the Russian peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh. I would like to remind you that according to the trilateral statement of the President of the Russian Federation, the President of Azerbaijan and the Prime Minister of Armenia, the Lachin corridor should be under the control of Russian peacekeepers, and the Republic of Azerbaijan guaranteed the free passage of passengers, cargo, people through the Lachin corridor. Now it turns out that the Lachin corridor is not under the control of Russian peacekeepers. Of course, I would like to discuss this situation, what options are available" Pashinyan said.

In his turn, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov said that Baku was open to dialogue with Yerevan on any platform.

According to the information from the Russian Defence Ministry from January 1, peacekeepers continue the negotiation process with the Armenian and Azerbaijani sides on resuming unimpeded vehicular traffic on the Stepanakert-Goris road.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov stated earlier in December that Moscow favours restoring transport links as soon as possible and resolving 'disagreements over the development of the region's ore deposits'.

"Considerable difficulties are being created for our military, including due to violations of the regime established by the trilateral agreements, as well as the obligations under these agreements. Sometimes our military are subjected to unfounded accusations," said the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said on December 30 that Moscow "expresses concern over the lack of progress in restoring the full functioning of the Lachin corridor for the movement of citizens, vehicles and cargo in both directions in accordance with the November 9, 2020 Statement of the leaders of Russia, Azerbaijan and Armenia." 

"We consider any public attacks and provocations against our peacekeepers as unacceptable and deliberate actions that do significant harm to the Armenian-Azerbaijani normalisation process," she said.

On December 20, there was an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council on the situation around the Lachin corridor, at Armenia's request.

Armenia: Procession to Yerablur military memorial cemetery takes place in Yerevan02:42
Top downloads in last 24 hours
Show more
Description

Residents of Karabakh, who remained in Yerevan because of the blockade of the Lachin corridor, held a procession to the Yerablur military pantheon, where they greeted the New Year.

Footage, taken on December 31, shows a group of people moving along the roads with flowers, flags and candles in their hands.

The participants started the procession from the Yerevan City Hall and later headed towards Yerablur.

According to local media, the procession was attended by the adviser to Karabakh's state minister Artak Beglaryan, the region's human rights defender Gegham Stepanyan and former Armenian ombudsman Arman Tatoyan.

In the Yerablur Military Pantheon, located in the southwest of Yerevan, are buried the heroes of the Armenian people, including those who died during the wars in Karabakh.

On December 13, the Russian Defence Ministry announced that the Azerbaijani side blocked the Stepanakert-Goris road on December 12, and the command of the Russian peacekeeping contingent was negotiating with their representatives to resume unimpeded civilian vehicle movement.

On the same day, the Armenian Foreign Ministry called the blocking of the Lachin corridor a 'provocation' by the Azerbaijani side, stating that 'Nagorno-Karabakh faces an imminent food and humanitarian crisis'.

According to the ministry, traffic was blocked by a group of people from Azerbaijan, who described themselves as environmental activists and set up tents.

The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry dismissed the claims made in the Armenian statement, saying that the road was blocked by Russian peacekeepers and that the environmental activists' protests 'are the result of the Azerbaijani public's justified discontent with illegal economic activities, plundering of natural resources and damage to the environment in the territories of Azerbaijan where Russian peacekeepers are deployed'.

On December 27, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin that the Lachin corridor remained blocked.

"For almost 20 days now, the Lachin corridor has been blocked. And this is the area of responsibility of the Russian peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh. I would like to remind you that according to the trilateral statement of the President of the Russian Federation, the President of Azerbaijan and the Prime Minister of Armenia, the Lachin corridor should be under the control of Russian peacekeepers, and the Republic of Azerbaijan guaranteed the free passage of passengers, cargo, people through the Lachin corridor. Now it turns out that the Lachin corridor is not under the control of Russian peacekeepers. Of course, I would like to discuss this situation, what options are available" Pashinyan said.

In his turn, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov said that Baku was open to dialogue with Yerevan on any platform.

According to the information from the Russian Defence Ministry from January 1, peacekeepers continue the negotiation process with the Armenian and Azerbaijani sides on resuming unimpeded vehicular traffic on the Stepanakert-Goris road.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov stated earlier in December that Moscow favours restoring transport links as soon as possible and resolving 'disagreements over the development of the region's ore deposits'.

"Considerable difficulties are being created for our military, including due to violations of the regime established by the trilateral agreements, as well as the obligations under these agreements. Sometimes our military are subjected to unfounded accusations," said the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said on December 30 that Moscow "expresses concern over the lack of progress in restoring the full functioning of the Lachin corridor for the movement of citizens, vehicles and cargo in both directions in accordance with the November 9, 2020 Statement of the leaders of Russia, Azerbaijan and Armenia." 

"We consider any public attacks and provocations against our peacekeepers as unacceptable and deliberate actions that do significant harm to the Armenian-Azerbaijani normalisation process," she said.

On December 20, there was an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council on the situation around the Lachin corridor, at Armenia's request.