This website uses cookies. Some are necessary to help our website work properly and can't be switched off, and some are optional but can optimise your browsing experience. To manage your cookie choices, click on Open settings.
Russia: 'Not single strike was carried out against targets within city limits of Kiev' - Konashenkov00:46

Russia: 'Not single strike was carried out against targets within city limits of Kiev' - Konashenkov

Russian Federation, Moscow
ноябрь 24, 2022 at 15:08 GMT +00:00 · Published

Defence Ministry spokesperson Igor Konashenkov claimed that Russian armed forces had attacked military and energy infrastructure targets on Wednesday but strongly denied any were within Kiev city, during a briefing in Moscow on Thursday.

"On November 23, Russian Armed Forces launched a massive attack using high-precision long-range air- and ground-based weaponry, at the military control system of Ukraine and energy facilities related to it," he said.

"Not a single strike was carried out against targets within the city limits of Kiev. All the destruction declared by the Kiev regime in the city was the result of foreign and Ukrainian air defence missiles falling in residential areas of the Ukrainian capital," he alleged.

Konashenkov also added that "AFU (Ukrainian Armed Forces) reserves, foreign weapons, military equipment and ammunition transfer by rail to the areas of combat operations was disrupted" by the strikes.

The Ukrainian Defence Ministry claimed on Thursday that Russian forces had launched dozens of missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) the day before, on both Kiev city itself and in civilian areas.

"During massive shelling of residential buildings and energy infrastructure in Kiev city and the Kiev, Vinnitsia, Lvov, Kirovograd, Zaporozhye, Kharkov, Donetsk regions, Russian occupation forces fired 67 cruise missiles and up to 10 Lancet UAVs. Fifty-one missiles and five UAVs were shot down by the Armed Forces of Ukraine," the ministry reported.

Russia has previously strongly denied targeting civilians and residential areas.

Moscow launched a military offensive in Ukraine in late February after recognising the independence of the Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics (DPR and LPR), claiming that Kiev had failed to guarantee their special status under the 2014 Minsk Agreements.

Russian troops were sent in, allegedly to defend citizens from attacks by Kiev, as well as to ‘demilitarise’ and 'denazify’ the region. Moscow also urged Ukraine to declare itself officially neutral and guarantee that it would never join NATO.

Kiev denounced the action as an invasion, denying allegations of tolerating Nazi organisations. President Volodymyr Zelensky imposed martial law, announcing a general mobilisation, while the EU and US imposed several rounds of sanctions on Moscow.

NOTE: The footage shows Konashenkov with archive material, during his use of the phrase 'air- and ground-based weaponry' . It is purportedly from October 31 showing the equipment in action, although Ruptly is unable to verify the date or content of that material.

Russia: 'Not single strike was carried out against targets within city limits of Kiev' - Konashenkov00:46
Pool for subscribers only
Restrictions

Mandatory credit: Russian Ministry of Defence

Top downloads in last 24 hours
Show more
Description

Defence Ministry spokesperson Igor Konashenkov claimed that Russian armed forces had attacked military and energy infrastructure targets on Wednesday but strongly denied any were within Kiev city, during a briefing in Moscow on Thursday.

"On November 23, Russian Armed Forces launched a massive attack using high-precision long-range air- and ground-based weaponry, at the military control system of Ukraine and energy facilities related to it," he said.

"Not a single strike was carried out against targets within the city limits of Kiev. All the destruction declared by the Kiev regime in the city was the result of foreign and Ukrainian air defence missiles falling in residential areas of the Ukrainian capital," he alleged.

Konashenkov also added that "AFU (Ukrainian Armed Forces) reserves, foreign weapons, military equipment and ammunition transfer by rail to the areas of combat operations was disrupted" by the strikes.

The Ukrainian Defence Ministry claimed on Thursday that Russian forces had launched dozens of missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) the day before, on both Kiev city itself and in civilian areas.

"During massive shelling of residential buildings and energy infrastructure in Kiev city and the Kiev, Vinnitsia, Lvov, Kirovograd, Zaporozhye, Kharkov, Donetsk regions, Russian occupation forces fired 67 cruise missiles and up to 10 Lancet UAVs. Fifty-one missiles and five UAVs were shot down by the Armed Forces of Ukraine," the ministry reported.

Russia has previously strongly denied targeting civilians and residential areas.

Moscow launched a military offensive in Ukraine in late February after recognising the independence of the Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics (DPR and LPR), claiming that Kiev had failed to guarantee their special status under the 2014 Minsk Agreements.

Russian troops were sent in, allegedly to defend citizens from attacks by Kiev, as well as to ‘demilitarise’ and 'denazify’ the region. Moscow also urged Ukraine to declare itself officially neutral and guarantee that it would never join NATO.

Kiev denounced the action as an invasion, denying allegations of tolerating Nazi organisations. President Volodymyr Zelensky imposed martial law, announcing a general mobilisation, while the EU and US imposed several rounds of sanctions on Moscow.

NOTE: The footage shows Konashenkov with archive material, during his use of the phrase 'air- and ground-based weaponry' . It is purportedly from October 31 showing the equipment in action, although Ruptly is unable to verify the date or content of that material.