This site uses cookies. By accepting cookies you can optimise your browsing experience. Read more.
Germany: Bavarian interior minister says NYE terror alert linked to IS02:16

Germany: Bavarian interior minister says NYE terror alert linked to IS

Germany, Munich
January 1, 2016 at 01:04 GMT +00:00 · Published

The Interior Minister of Bavaria, Joachim Hermann, announced that Thursday's terror alert was linked to the so-called Islamic State (IS, ISIS, ISIL) during a press conference in Munich, Friday.

"The Federal Criminal Police Office informed the police at around 19:40 on New Year's Eve that according to strong secret service information from the IS side, an attack or attacks were concretely planned for tonight or midnight in the Munich Main Train Station or Pasing [train station]," Hermann stated.

On Thursday evening two train stations in Munich were evacuated after police were made aware of a "serious, imminent threat" of a terror attack in the Bavarian capital. As people gathered to welcome in the New Year, authorities closed the main station in central Munich and a second station in the Pasing neighbourhood. Both stations have since been reopened.

Munich police warned the public via Facebook that they had received "serious information" that an attack had been planned for New Year's Eve.

Germany: Bavarian interior minister says NYE terror alert linked to IS02:16
Pool for subscribers only
No Account? Sign up!
Top downloads in last 24 hours
Show more
Description

The Interior Minister of Bavaria, Joachim Hermann, announced that Thursday's terror alert was linked to the so-called Islamic State (IS, ISIS, ISIL) during a press conference in Munich, Friday.

"The Federal Criminal Police Office informed the police at around 19:40 on New Year's Eve that according to strong secret service information from the IS side, an attack or attacks were concretely planned for tonight or midnight in the Munich Main Train Station or Pasing [train station]," Hermann stated.

On Thursday evening two train stations in Munich were evacuated after police were made aware of a "serious, imminent threat" of a terror attack in the Bavarian capital. As people gathered to welcome in the New Year, authorities closed the main station in central Munich and a second station in the Pasing neighbourhood. Both stations have since been reopened.

Munich police warned the public via Facebook that they had received "serious information" that an attack had been planned for New Year's Eve.