This site uses cookies. By accepting cookies you can optimise your browsing experience. Read more.
Italy: Less than 30 Mediterranean migrants survived, confirms Catania official00:47

Italy: Less than 30 Mediterranean migrants survived, confirms Catania official

Italy, Catania
April 20, 2015 at 02:56 GMT +00:00 · Published

Enzo Bianco, the Mayor of Catania, spoke of his regret that "less than 30 survived" as he spoke about the Mediterranean migrant tragedy in an address to press in the Catania, Monday.

Bianco said the city is ready to receive the survivors. Catania is already housing "some hundreds of migrants" who have made the perilous journey from North Africa to the European mainland, according to the official.

Over 1600 people have now died trying to cross the Mediterranean in 2015 alone, a 50 percent increase compared to the same period for last year when over 3000 died in total.

Italy: Less than 30 Mediterranean migrants survived, confirms Catania official00:47
No Account? Sign up!
Top downloads in last 24 hours
Show more
Description

Enzo Bianco, the Mayor of Catania, spoke of his regret that "less than 30 survived" as he spoke about the Mediterranean migrant tragedy in an address to press in the Catania, Monday.

Bianco said the city is ready to receive the survivors. Catania is already housing "some hundreds of migrants" who have made the perilous journey from North Africa to the European mainland, according to the official.

Over 1600 people have now died trying to cross the Mediterranean in 2015 alone, a 50 percent increase compared to the same period for last year when over 3000 died in total.